Don’t let an empty wall intimidate you! Calendar wall art is a simple and inexpensive little trick to add personality and color to your walls. Please note: this post contains affiliate links, read the disclosures for more information.
Are you staring at a big, blank wall? Okay, fine. You’re clearly staring at a screen of some kind at this particular moment. But if you just moved into a new home, or if you haven’t spent the past decade collecting unique yet coordinating art, you probably have a big, blank wall somewhere in your home.
Decorating long walls, like hallways and stairways, is a little scary for (at least) two reasons:
- Collecting enough coordinating pictures is time-consuming and tricky.
- Purchasing a lot of frames and art all at once is pricey.
What’s an easy, inexpensive way to decorate a large space?
Creating wall art with calendars solves both of these problems: all of the images in a typical wall calendar coordinate with one another, and calendars are pretty cheap, especially if you purchase them a few months into the year.
Since calendars come in a wide variety of subjects, it’s easy to find one that adds beauty and meaning to your home.
I love the cities wall calendar from Rifle Paper Co. because husband and I traveled a lot before we had kids. This calendar represents many of the amazing places we’ve seen and others that we’d love to visit someday.
So, not only is this particular calendar wall art pretty to look at, it also represents how important travel and experiencing other cultures is to our family.
I picked up these inexpensive frames at Michael’s (they were on sale and I had a coupon, so they worked out to about $5 each), and chose to remove the mats and leave the dates exposed. The frames grace my central hallway in our new house (above), and our stairway in our last house (below).
This lovely gender neutral nursery shows the same calendar, but in smaller frames that leave out the dates.
This beautiful calendar wall art display uses the 2015 calendar from Rifle Paper Co. The pictures add an amazing pop of color between the windows while also tying together the bright pink dresser and turquoise bedding.
Tips to Create Calendar Wall Art
Are you ready to fill up your blank spaces with unique calendar wall art? Here are tips to get you started:
- Select a calendar with graphics that coordinate with your decorating style.
- The calendar should represent something meaningful to you, such as a hobby, special vacation, or artistic style that you admire.
- Go big: look for large wall calendars with prominent artwork.
- Decide if you want to keep the dates, or just the pictures.
- Take advantage of frame sales at major stores like Michael’s, AC Moore, and Hobby Lobby so you can buy many frames without breaking the bank.
- Use a paper-cutter to ensure straight edges if you need to trim the calendar to fit the frame.
Gorgeous Calendars to Create Unique Art
Here are some of my favorite, frame-worthy calendars.
There are wall calendars featuring every subject under the sun, so you’ll definitely find one that suits your style and interests. So go ahead – dress up that big blank wall!
Check out these other ideas:
- 4 Easy Tips to Create Colorful Wrapping Paper Art
- 9 Functional + Feminine Desk Chairs (And How to Choose One)
- How to Easily Update Old Shelves in Minutes (Without Paint!)