There are only a few days left until Halloween, but you still have time to create an easy Halloween mantel with these two no-brainer craft projects you can make while watching TV! Note: This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosures for more information.
For years I thought that my chronic procrastination was a character flaw. I cannot for the life of me get a head start on anything. If I had a therapist (and I probably should), I would tell her that in addition to putting off what I don’t want to do, I also put off things that I actually want to do, such as decorating and writing this post.
Why? I suppose it’s due to over-thinking and worrying whether the project will turn out as well as it appears in my mind’s eye.
But here are the good things I discovered about procrastination:
- Wait long enough, and you simply don’t have the time to indulge in an overly complicated project.
- Lack of time forces you to get creative with your solutions.
- Discounts. If you purchase seasonal decorations a week before the holiday, everything is 70% off!
So yes, everyone in Blog Land showed you lovely Halloween mantels weeks ago – and here’s mine.
I don’t care that my Halloween decor is late, because if you found this post, you are probably also a procrastinator. Hello, and welcome! If you are a too-busy, creative, selective perfectionist like me, you will fit in just fine around here.
If you’re hosting a Halloween party this weekend, or just want to spook-ify your home between now and Thanksgiving (because you know this shiz is gonna stay on my mantel until then), here are two incredibly easy Halloween mantel crafts that you can make before trick-or-treaters ring your doorbell.
Easy Halloween Mantel: DIY Feather Boa Wreath
- Black feather boa (check the kids’ section at your local craft store)
- Wire wreath form
- Paper or foam cut-out spiders or other creepy critters
- Twist-ties, wire, or pipe cleaners to secure the boa to the wreath form.
- Hot glue or craft glue
- Pre-made bow
Make the Wreath:
- Tie one end of the boa to the wreath form.
- Wrap the wreath over and under the wires until you make your way around the wreath back to where you started.
- Tie the end of the wreath to the wire and secure with twist-ties, wire or pipe cleaners as needed.
- Glue the creepy critters to the wreath and attach the bow. Typically, pre-made bows have twist-ties on the back and you simply wrap the ties around the wire wreath.
Easy Halloween Mantel: Bat Garland
- Black ribbon
- Black card stock or construction paper
- Hole punch
- Bat cookie cutter or a printable bat template (there’s a good roundup of bat templates here)
- Brightly colored pencil
Make the Bat Garland:
- Trace your bat cookie cutter onto the paper with a brightly colored pencil so that your shape will be easy to see.
- Cut out as many paper bats as you please.
- Punch holes in the wings.
- String your ribbon through the holes.
- Hang and enjoy!
See? I told you it would be easy. It takes a little time to cut out the paper bats, but it’s brainless work that can be done with the World Series playing in the background.
The best part? You can reuse these easy Halloween mantel decorations next year, so then you can say that you’re ahead of the game. 🙂
Check Out These Other Halloween Ideas:
Pin it for later: